4060 Series Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone
Big sound - small footprint
- Exceptional audio quality
- Uniform, consistent sound between DPA mics
- Extremely rugged and reliable
- Diminutive size made for flexible and easy concealment
- Large selection of clips, windscreens, grids and other accessories
- Modular adapter system fits most professional wireless systems
This series contains the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063 and 4071 Omni Miniature Mics. Each version is tailored towards a specific application based on sensitivity, voltage and placement needs. They are all based on the original d:screet™ 4060; the very first miniature microphone developed by DPA from the best technology previously only used in hearing aids and measurement microphones. All of the mics in the series share important basic features, but each is optimized for particular applications.
The series was developed to withstand the toughest of conditions. They contain a 5.4 mm diameter pre-polarized condenser element with a vertical diaphragm. This unique, Double Vent Protection System makes the mics greatly resistant to humidity and sweat. These mics are also designed with a Kevlar-reinforced cable relief, which is built to withstand the constant twists, bends and pulls that are part of the everyday use in harsh environments.
The acoustic response of the d:screet™ 4060 Series can be modified by selecting the correct grid for the job. Two grids are supplied with each microphone (not the d:screet™ 4071, which includes a fixed grid). The pre-fitted Soft Boost Grid gives a 3 dB soft boost at 8-20 kHz. It should be used when the microphone is mounted on the performer’s head as well as in most other applications where you need a natural-sounding microphone. When fitted, the High Boost Grid introduces a 10 dB soft boost around 12 kHz for applications where the microphones chest-placement is preferred. Both of these grids are made of anodized stainless steel, giving a tough and scratch resistant surface. They can be detached from the microphone and cleaned of sweat, makeup, etc.
d:screet™ 4060 Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone, Normal SPL
This microphone is small in size, but mighty in flexibility. Due to its miniature size, it exhibits an exceptionally accurate omnidirectional pattern and therefore does not need to be aimed directly at the sound source to achieve quality pickup. The omnidirectional pattern also makes it less sensitive to handling noise as well as pop and wind noise.
We originally designed this microphone for use with wireless systems in theaters but today it is one of the most loved mics for television and film applications as well. It is especially suited for capturing speech in all of its nuances and can be used to close-mike a wide range of instruments. This microphone handles sound pressure levels up to 134 dB before clipping occurs. This mic is well suited for applications where the sound source is more remote or damped and you need to have a good balance signal versus noise.
d:screet™ 4071 Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone, Presence Boost
The d:screet™ 4071 Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone, Presence Boost is a fantastic lavalier mic, which features a presence boost of typically 5 dB at 4 to 6 kHz. This is critical for a chest-placed microphone because the frequency range of the consonants spoken is damped in this position, which results in poor intelligibility. The d:screet™ 4071 has a boost that maximizes speech intelligibility. This microphone will be able to handle sound pressure levels up to 144 dB before clipping occurs.
When recording voices from mic placement on a performer's body, no frequency below 100 Hz is attractive. For this reason, an acoustical low-cut at 100 Hz has been incorporated in the d:screet™ 4071’s capsule so the built-in preamplifier (and the wireless system) will have a much larger headroom. Furthermore, the low-cut filter removes low-frequency rumble, noise and proximity effect.
Because of its special optimization for speech, this mic is especially appropriate for ENG news crews since very few ENG mixers have the ability to make this type of compensation. It is also a fantastic choice for in-studio reporters or even hidden under clothing for film production use.
The d:screet™ 4071 is available in three colors: black, beige and white. An even more robust, heavy-duty version is also available.
Flexible Adapter System
All of DPA’s microphones can be configured to run easily and effortlessly with a wireless system. We use a unique MicroDot termination on our microphones together with a changeable adapter to ensure secure configuration. All of the adapters we use are original, developed and manufactured by the wireless system brand you use. This ensures that your mic will work consistently with no connection trouble to your system.
The adapters for wireless systems give you flexible, simple and affordable possibilities. You are no longer bound to one wireless system. As circumstances change, you can just switch your adapter, instead of incurring the cost of a completely new microphone. When you make the switch, you won't hear any loss or change in sound quality.
Using an adapter for wireless, our microphones with MicroDot termination are compatible with the professional wireless systems listed below. Many of these brands have several model numbers. To ensure compatibility you should find your particular model number, which in most cases can be found on the transmitter. Other configurations are possible; however, DPA Microphones cannot guarantee full compatibility in these cases.
Wireless brands we work with: AKG, Audio Ltd., Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Electro-Voice, Lectrosonics, Line 6, Micron, Mipro, Pastega, Ramsa, Sabine, Samson, Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Telex, TOA, Trantec, Vega, Wisycom and Zaxcom.
Hardwired versions without the MicroDot connector are also available for various versions. Popular choices are 3-pin LEMO (Sennheiser), Mini-Jack (Sennheiser) and TA4F Mini-XLR (Shure).
If you prefer to run via a wired system, all of our mics are available with an XLR adapter.
- Directional pattern Omnidirectional
- Principle of operation Pressure
- Cartridge type Pre-polarized condenser
- Frequency range 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Frequency range, ±2 dB 100 Hz - 15 kHz with typ. 5 dB soft boost at 4 - 6 kHz
- Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB at 1 kHz 6 mV/Pa; -44 dB re. 1 V/Pa
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted Typ. 26 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 28 dB(A))
- Equivalent noise level, ITU-R BS.468-4 Typ. 38 dB (max. 40 dB)
- S/N ratio (A-weighted), re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL) 68 dB(A)
- Total harmonic distortion (THD) < 1% THD up to 123 dB SPL peak
- < 1% up to 120 dB SPL RMS sine
- Dynamic range Typ. 97 dB
- Max. SPL, peak before clipping 144 dB
- Output impedance 30 - 40 Ω
- Cable drive capability Up to 300 m (984 ft)
- Power supply (for full performance) For wireless systems: Min. 5 V - max. 50 V through DPA adapter. With DAD6001-BC/DAD6024/DAD4099: 48 V phantom power ±4 V for full performance
- Connector MicroDot
- Color Black, beige or white
- Weight 7.5 g (0.26 oz) incl. Cable and MicroDot connector
- Microphone diameter 5.4 mm (0.21 in)
- Microphone length 17 mm (0.67 in)
- Cable length 1.8 m (5.9 ft)
- Polarity Positively increasing sound pressure produces positive going voltage on MicroDot pin
- Temperature range -40 °C to 45 °C (-40 °F to 113 °F)