VSL Synchron Percussion I
This all-new Collection of orchestral percussion instruments ushers in a new era for Vienna Symphonic Library. Synchron Percussion I was recorded at Stage A, the main hall, of Viennas newly revitalized Synchron Stage Vienna.
Captured in every nuanced detail with an expansive, phase-controlled multi-microphone set-up, it delivers to your studio all the character and vibe of the worlds finest percussion instruments, masterfully played in one of the best-sounding scoring stages in the world.
Synchron Percussion I includes 16 essential orchestral percussion instruments that are owned by Synchron Stage Vienna and permanently housed in climate-controlled rooms in the buildings basement. All of the leading prestigious manufacturers are represented in this premium selection of instruments, including Adams, Bergerault, Kolberg, Lefima, Meinl, Yamaha, and Zildjan.
- 5 Timpani (Adams; C2–C#4)
- Bass Drum (Kolberg “Dicke Bertha 36"x28")
- Snare Drum (Kolberg “Piano-Forte Rosewood 14"x 6,5")
- 8 Concert Toms (Yamaha CT-9000 series; 6"-16")
- Xylophone (Adams Artist Alpha; C4–C8)
- Glockenspiel (Yamaha 2500; C5–E8)
- Celesta (Kolberg; C3–F8)
- Suspended Cymbals (Zildjian, 16" & 18")
- Piatti (Zildjian 20" Constantinople Orchestra Medium Light; Meinl 22" Symphonic Extra Heavy)
- 2 Tam-Tams (Wuhan; 100cm and 120cm)
- Tubular Bells (Bergerault Symphonic; F3–F5)
- Tambourines (2 pc.: Lefima 2091-A, Kolberg 2030 DW)
- Triangles (7 sizes)
- Woodblocks (5 pc.)
- Castanets (2 pairs)
- Shakers (2 pc.)
Every instrument was recorded using 12 microphones. You may select from four microphone positions (Standard Library) or seven different microphone positions (Full Library) and mix them to your liking, directly in the Vienna Instruments and Vienna Instruments Pro players, or using our mixing hosts Vienna Ensemble and Vienna Ensemble Pro.
Use the included and perfectly fine-tuned presets as a starting point for your own mixes. The natural volume envelopes and the sonic character of the instruments remained untouched during recording and editing. The performances in Stage A were captured in stereo using a Decca tree, and additional microphone arrays were utilized for 5.1 surround and Auro 3D 9.1.
Microphone Positions of the Full Library:
- Close Mic – Mono
- Mid Layer Mic – Stereo (L/R)
- Main/Room Mic – Decca Tree Stereo (L/R)
- Main/Room Mic – Decca Tree Mono (Center)
- Main Surround – Stereo (L/R)
- High Stereo (3D) – Stereo (L/R)
- High Surround (3D) – Stereo (L/R)
Standard Library includes positions 1-4.
Immersive Sound and Auro 3D
Auro 3D is an immersive audio technology that allows for three-dimensional sound perception. The Belgian company Auro Technologies developed this technology based on a special speaker configuration, adding four additional speakers to a 5.1 surround configuration. These speakers (so-called “Heights) are situated above the front and surround speakers and generate acoustic reflections that are perceived naturally due to the fact that sounds originate from around as well as from above the listener. Thanks to the comprehensive selection of discrete audio channels of Synchron Percussion I (Full Library) you may mix your instruments in Auro 3D as well as in Dolby Atmos.
128 Variations per Hit
A tremendous amount of time and effort was spent in order to record all 16 percussion instruments. This tour de force was only possible because all of the instruments, as well as the Synchron Stage Vienna itself, were owned by the Vienna Symphonic Library company. The results are truly impressive. Synchron Percussion I over-delivers with its huge dynamic range and liveliness. With up to 16 velocities and up to 8 variations of each hit, and open, secco (stopped release) and coperto (damped) articulations, there are a staggering 128 variations of each single hit! Additionally weve utilized several types of mallets, sticks, rods, brushes, hammers, and more to achieve a comprehensive library of transients and timbres.
100 hours alone was spent on capturing all the subtle nuances of the five timpani. Since each timpani drum was sampled over its complete playing range, any given pitch may now be reproduced by up to three different instruments. As a result of our exclusive, brand-new release sample technology, crescendo and diminuendo rolls that are available in various lengths and intensities can be stopped at any time with the matching release sample being triggered. Glissandos are provided up to a major sixth in three speeds, and the innovative “Performance Interval Rolls enable unlimited legato playing of up to a fifth interval.
The celesta was played using a sampling robot, which captured the subtlety of this beautiful instrument with 36 meticulously sampled velocity layers.
Extensive Resources for Sound Design
For almost all of the instruments, we recorded special FX sounds that lend themselves well to creating all-new, organic soundscapes. For example, we stroked a rubber “superball against the head of the bass drum, and treated the rims of the concert toms with rasping sticks. The glockenspiel, xylophone and the tamtams were played with a double bass bow, as another of many examples. The results are unique sounds that will entice you to experiment and will serve as a source of inspiration for your compositions.
The Recording Stage as an Instrument
Synchron Stage Vienna, located on the “Wiener Rosenhügel, is large enough to accommodate a 130 piece orchestra and has proven to be a remarkable space, not only for film music recordings, but also for sampling sessions. During the 1960s, eminent classical artists such as Karl Böhm, Herbert von Karajan, Yehudi Menuhin, Sviatoslav Richter and Mstislav Rostropovich loved to use the outstanding acoustics of this former “Synchronhalle for their now-legendary recordings.
The colossal room-in-room construction, built upon a massive concrete foundation, combined with sound insulation and a specially designed air conditioning system, results in a ridiculously low noise-floor of 16 dBA, even with the air conditioner running!
The main Stage A features a reverb time of 1.6 to 1.8 seconds, and in contrast to other scoring stages, there is no masking effect on the low frequencies. All instruments sound punchy and warm, while at the same time providing excellent localization, both in depth and in the stereo panorama. Especially at low and medium levels, the room itself becomes a marvelous instrument. Its high energy level on the very low frequencies was harnessed beautifully for the bass drum, which was recorded at its normal tuning, then loosened to capture thunderous lows that reverberated though the hall. But be mindful of the volume – these ultra low frequencies may damage your speakers if the volume is set too high!
Perfect Climatic Conditions
Synchron Stage Vienna is equipped with a sophisticated system for heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) that provides absolutely consistent air quality (humidity and temperature) between the large Stage A and the percussion storage room. So every instrument is in pristine condition for performance, day and night, session after session.
- 16 Essential orchestral percussion instruments from the Synchron Stage Vienna collection
- Recorded at the 540 m2 (5,813 sq.ft.) Stage A of Synchron Stage Vienna
- More than 475,000 Samples (Full Library)
- 427 GB of installed sample data
- Extensive recording time – up to 100 hours per instrument group
- Pristine sound with 1.6 through 1.8 sec. natural reverb time
- All instruments captured with 12 microphones (Full Library) or 6 microphones (Standard Library)
- 3D Sound (Full Library) – mix in stereo, 5.1 surround, Auro 3D or Dolby Atmos
- Up to 128 samples per pitch and per hit
- Unique release sample technology for crescendo and diminuendo rolls
- New: Performance Interval Rolls – play true legato (roll) lines up to a fifth interval on the timpani
- Extra low tunings on the bass drum – for highly energetic low frequency recordings
- Many FX articulations – a source of inspiration for all-new sound combinations
- Free Vienna Ensemble mixing host and Vienna Instruments player included (fully compatible with Vienna Ensemble Pro
- and Vienna Instruments Pro)
- Includes presets of well-balanced microphone setups for the players Vienna Instruments and Vienna Instruments Pro, and for the mixing hosts Vienna Ensemble and Vienna Ensemble Pro.
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments Player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
• Mac OS X 10.8 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo
• 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
• ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
• eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
• free hard drive space according to This Library Size Chart
Other configurations might work but are not actively supported.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
• Mac OS X 10.8 (latest update), i5/i7/Xeon
• Fast separate hard drive (7200 rpm or faster)
• AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host (also works stand-alone)
• RTAS version requires Pro Tools 7.3 or higher
• 88 key master keyboard
Please notice: To use the "Extended Library" you need to have the corresponding "Standard Library" already registred in your account."Standard Library" plus "Extended Library" result in a "Full Version"
Vienna Instruments require the ViennaKey!
This USB protection device by eLicenser (by Steinberg, formerly Syncrosoft) is not included in the box of any collection, it is a separate item you have to get additionally. So you’ll have to order at least one ViennaKey with your first purchase. It will be put inside the shopping basket automatically but can be deleted if not required. Customers who order the complete SYMPHONIC CUBE will get one ViennaKey for free (not shown in the basket). If you already own another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for the VIENNA INSTRUMENTS, too. Each dongle can store up to 100 product licenses.
Additionally an internet connection on any computer is required to authorize a VSL product.